7:03 AM Chou...what? Chouquettes! Ahhh, French pastry - you drive me nuts! 
Everytime I'm in France, I need to get the the typical sweet sins which make my heart beat faster. Serious question: who can say no to French sweets?

When I was getting ready for my trip to Paris last October, I was still in NYC enjoying the last hot days of the year. In the air plane, I was already fantasizing about the desserts I'm going to get and I started to write a list about the places I wanted to check out. My favorite destination became Pain, Pain (read my post about it here). 
A dream boulangerie with fancy cakes, sweets, and the best interior design. My home in Paris ~
Pain, Pain had so many typical things to choose from and one thing which made me the happiest was the chouquette! They are so simple and some would call them rather boring, but to me - this the real French pastry! Don't underestimate them! 

I loooove those tiny sugar puffs and I remember how my sister and I were eating them, laughing about our idea to learn baking all of the typical French desserts - why not? We always wanted to take a class of how to make croissants for example. It's time to learn how to do this by ourselves, so we don't need to travel to Paris all the time, haha. 
That's how my idea arose...let's do a series where I try to bake some French classics which make my heart beat up and down and my booty super big. Oh yesss, I'm ready for this. 

When I googled and thought about my first choice for this series, I was a bit scared and wondered if I would really be able to bake all of this by myself. Croissants are beyond hard to make...chouquettes also seem to be a bit tricky....but hey, there was no turning back, I had to do it. 

Let's start "low-key". 
I can do this.
I can do this. 


CHOUQUETTES 

*recipe from Pinch and Swirl

YOU NEED 1/2 Cup water + 1/2 Cup milk + 1/4 Cup sugar + a pinch of salt + 4 tablespoons butter + 1 Cup flour + 4 eggs + 1/4 Cup pearl sugar


1. Prepare your oven first. Preheat it to 375°F and take out parchment paper for your baking sheet. 
2. In a saucepan, heat water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt until boiling. Then, add more and more the flour to the mixture - stir well.
3. As soon as dough feels smooth, take it away from the heat. (Watch out and don't burn it!)
4. Let dough cool down for at least 3 minutes before you add the eggs. (You don't want scrambled eggs). Add one egg at time and stir the dough until everything is blended well. 
5. Take out a tablespoon and spread little walnuts of dough on your parchment paper. Don't let them sit too close together, give them room to rise.
6. Once you are done, sprinkle a bit of pearl sugar on top and bake the chouquettes for about 20-25 minutes until they are puffy and golden brown. 


I told my mom that I was baking chouquettes. "What, you are doing choux pastry? I could never do that." Thanks, mom. I told her that it isn't as hard as it looks on tv. I watched so many shows where they did this kind of dough and I remembered how they always emphasized that you shouldn't burn your dough - you need to stir like crazy. 
Check. 
I got it.

I followed all the instructions and took my time. I was done pretty soon when I realized that I really baked chouquettes. That's it? It's really not that hard. All you need is a little patience and time. I didn't rush and I followed the recipe - there was no chance of doing something wrong. 

Even better - they almost tasted like the ones at Pain, Pain. 
Success ~ 

Happy French baking to you, lovebirds! I hope you will enjoy this series just as much as I do! 

Powered by Blogger.